Latinos/Hispanics in STEM: A Career Path Series is a new seminar series organized in collaboration between the Latino Organization of Graduate Students (LOGRAS), the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), and the GoSTEM program.
These seminars will share experiences of successful professionals having a Latino/Hispanic heritage, and will be formed by a cohort of professionals who are working in academia, private industry, and government.
Seminar Dates: One Tuesday a month
Time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Dr. Gabriel Candia, Ph.D.
Associate Professor at the Faculty of Civil Engineering of Universidad del Desarrollo-Chile, Associate Researcher at CIGIDEN
October 18th, 2022, 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Dr. Gabriel Candia (Ph.D. UC Berkeley 2013) is a structural and geotechnical engineer and currently Associate Professor at the Faculty of Civil Engineering of Universidad del Desarrollo-Chile, and Associate Researcher at CIGIDEN, a multidisciplinary center for research in natural disaster management. Dr. Candia has published over 20 research articles in the most prestigious journals in topics that range from seismic vulnerability and risk of complex systems, to physics based models for characterizing the seismic response of structures and geotechnical systems, the quantification of seismic hazards and software development. As member of the GEER Association (GeoEngineering Extreme Event Reconnaissance), Dr. Candia has participated in the reconnaissance efforts of several large earthquakes (Chile 2010, 2014, 2015; Mexico 2017; Peru 2019).
More information about the centers and people involved in the organization of these seminars are below:
- LOGRAS - https://logras.gatech.edu/
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering - https://ce.gatech.edu/
- Adriana Mulero-Russe – Bioengineering PhD student/ ex officio LOGRAS President
- Marisa Cepeda – Chemistry PhD candidate/ ex officio LOGRAS Internal Outreach Chair
- Nina S. Fraticelli-Guzman – Bioengineering PhD student / LOGRAS President
- Dr. Jorge Macedo: https://ce.gatech.edu/people/Faculty/7568/overview
- Analía E. Rao: https://www.ceismc.gatech.edu/about/staffdirectory/analia-e-rao